Friday 25 March 2011

Digital SLR Photographer feature

Was contacted by Digital SLR Photographer magazine back in February to see if I would like to write an article on studio still life lighting.  Well in my previous life I spent twenty years locked away in a dark studio lighting products and things, so I thought why not.

The features editor challenged me to light a guitar with minimal equipment, and only using two lights, I could do better than that as I often only use one light on much of my studio work.  Whilst I do have a studio full of Elinchrom studio lighting, I still like to keep the shots simple, not too many shadows etc.

The idea is to invest time in ways to bounce that light back at the subject, could be tin foil or white card, the devices that hold that card in a particular spot are readily available from photographic equipment suppliers.

The article was published last week and I was pleased to get a few emails from readers who had liked the article and were inspired to attempt to photograph their own guitars.
I was impressed that someone had read the article, let alone wanted to have a go at the technique themselves.

I found the whole process quite rewarding and look forward to doing it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment