Saturday 15 January 2011

"If you can't stand the heat"


Last year, during the Summer, I was commissioned to shoot lifestyle images at a holiday village near Cork in Ireland.  Shooting models on the golf course and generally having fun etc, “hard work, but someone has to do it.”
Then one evening, the client suggested that I shoot some food prep shots in the kitchen. Having seen Gordon Ramsay in Hells Kitchen, I was eagerly waiting for the smile on their faces to indicate that it was a belated April fools joke, and I could stay comfortably seated with my well earned pint of Guinness.  Ten minutes later, with some persuasion, I entered the world of the kitchen during a very busy service.
The noise was intense, the bustling energy with everyone  doing their thing and manning each station.  However, I was able to blend in and adopt “Steve’s stealth approach”  to photography.
I have been asked to shoot food photography on many occasions over the years.  The aspect of lighting is just like any other subject. It’s the organisation that matters. Luckily, I spent some of my early years assisting some of the very best food and still life photographers in London.  I can recall on this experience from the past and also employ the services of the very best food stylists. They know what food to prepare and how to ensure that it looks at its best for the camera. So it’s all about team work.
I managed to escape the kitchen in Cork unscathed after twenty minutes, with some great images.  All the crew in the kitchen did in fact make me feel very welcome, and as usual in these situations, after a few minutes people tend to forget you’re there and this is how you can get the natural reportage feel in the images.
Finally, it helps to know your subject very well.  But in this case, as anyone who knows me, 


I burn everything, even soup...



No comments:

Post a Comment